Founded in 1904, The Flower and Fruit Mission, a not-for-profit organization made up of thirty-five women, has supported Women's Health Services at Saratoga Hospital for over 100 years.
Through the decades, Mission members sewed thousands of blankets, caps, and clothing items for the infants born at Saratoga Hospital, provided flowers and fruit for new mothers, and made countless jars of homemade jam for hospital meals and fundraisers. In recent years, the Mission's focus has turned to the provision of funds to enhance the facilities and services in the Labor & Delivery Unit.
The Flower and Fruit Mission holds two annual fundraisers: The Spring Luncheon in May and the Snow Ball in December.
- The Spring Luncheon
- Each May, our classic ladies luncheon kicks off the Saratoga summer season, bringing together hundreds of women in our community to raise money for Women's Health Services at Saratoga Hospital.
- The 2019 Presenting Sponsor of the Spring Luncheon is Julie & Co. Realty.
- The Snow Ball
- The Snow Ball, held on the first Saturday in December, is our largest fundraiser and kicks off the holiday season with festive décor, cocktails, dinner, and dancing.
- We are thrilled to announce that Adirondack Trust Company will be our Presenting Sponsor. Thank you, Adirondack Trust, for your support of our Mission!
Some recent contributions from The Flower and Fruit Mission are:
- A donation of $30,000 to the Community Health Center to support women's health for the uninsured and under-insured mothers in our community.
- A donation of $50,000 for the purchase of Noelle, a simulation program used to train doctors and nurses in crisis care for mothers and newborns.
- A donation of $17,000 for the purchase of new Bilibeds, which allow treatment of jaundice right in the bassinet, so that mothers and their babies can stay close during treatment.
- $250,000 for renovations and upgrades in the Labor & Delivery Unit, including new bassinets, companion chairs, and delivery carts.
The Flower and Fruit Mission also offers two scholarships each year.
- The Philly Dake Memorial Award
- This annual award is given in loving memory of longtime Flower and Fruit Mission member Philly Dake, whose dedication to improving local medical care was exemplary. In her honor, a scholarship is awarded to a Saratoga Springs High School graduating senior who has an expressed documented interest in pursuing a career in healthcare.
- The Mildred Rockwell Fund
- Given in memory of a long-standing and much loved member, this $10,000 annual scholarship fund pays for advanced educational opportunities for labor and delivery nurses at Saratoga Hospital. Nurses may apply to attend medical conferences or certification programs on topics such as lactation and advanced obstetrical skills, helping to heighten the quality of care for mothers and newborns at Saratoga Hospital
To date, nearly $1,500,000 has been raised for equipment, scholarships, facility improvements and nurse education.
For more information on The Flower and Fruit Mission, or to make a tax-deductible contribution, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our mailing address is:
The Flower and Fruit Mission
P.O Box 207
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866